Tuesday, November 27, 2007

There and back again

November 27, 2007

I finally made it to the town of Siguatepeque and I think I at long last can spell the name correctly. Due to bad weather, traffic, and further delays last Friday it was almost dark when we reached the town. I settled in with the Visser family and that evening met a few of the teachers from a nearby Bilingual School.

Saturday dawned a beautiful day with not even the threat of rain in the sky. I spent the day up on the high ropes course of Camp Cerro de Luz. I was on the ground most of the day (which turned out to be better since I could not reach the cables above me for changing my static belay from one cable to the next), but I got to climb once and that was good. The day held more waiting though as the group was running behind schedule. I filled some of the time with some tag games with the Visser children and another leader. Much to my surprise I ended up seeing someone I had met several months ago in the city and family of friend from Costa Rica.

Saturday evening I hung out with the teachers from the Bilingual School and realized how small the world is once again when one of them turned out to be a Houghton grad. The entire weekend I was with Canadians and British which was neat. Sunday morning I went to market and church with the teachers and afterwords we, and the Vissers, did a hike in a nearby National Park that overlooks the Lake Yojoa. For seven months I have been trying to do a real hike and finally it happened -- and with fun people. I was glad to be with both a family and with young people once again because it has been a while since I have been in either setting.

Monday morning I visited a National Forestry school on the edge of town and found book on trees that I have been searching for for many months. I worked the rest of the day and then this morning, I was able to do some more networking with the director of the camp and get some input on a few things.

The trip back to San Pedro this afternoon was great. I had beautiful weather and decided to stop along the lake for a snack so that I could sit out on the water. Although I am a little short on sleep now, the weekend was quite restful. I got to do a run on back roads that reminded me a little bit of runs with the cross country team in college. With the sun just beginning to set behind the mountains, it was the perfect time and place to run. I contemplated why I am afraid to run on the roads around my camp when I did not hesitate to run in that unfamiliar area, but then I remembered that the only road by my camp is either straight up the mountain or downhill into town. There is no even ground.

Tomorrow morning I head back to Manantial de Vida which is long overdue. I have been gone about a week and a half and I can tell. I plan to spend the majority of my time there this next week, except for a quick trip to the city this weekend for a concert, church, and a basketball game. I am about to venture back into the world of competitive sports. We will see how it goes. Enough of my rambling

No comments: