Saturday, November 03, 2007

I have a car...


November 3, 2007
And so a long week comes to an end and with it, I finally have a vehicle. I was going to take a picture to post it on my blog, but it has been raining all day so I will have to wait until later. It was pretty much 6 months to the day after my arrival here in Honduras that I bought the car. On Tuesday morning I left camp early in the morning to make it to the government office that deals with changing car titles by 8:00AM. Once there I stood in line for several hours. Thankfully a couple of people helped me out along the way or I would have been in the wrong line (again) for a couple of hours. I already had not so fond memories of that building. After those few hours, I went to the bank to pay for the title change and write a check to the car owner.

Then I spent the week getting new tires, insurance, and doing several other small repairs that still needed done. I am hoping that I can avoid sitting in the waiting room of car repair shops for several months now at least. It is a great feeling to have my own vehicle again. I now own a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo for those interested in such details. Definitely the newest car that I have ever had. To get insurance here, you have to drive a fairly new car. After talking with the insurance person on Wednesday, I realized that I am not sure how valuable insurance actually is because they do not cover any incident where you do something contrary to the law, such as run a red light, speed, go the wrong way on a one-way street, etc… It seems to me that most accidents are caused by breaking the law though hopefully unintentionally. In this city it is quite easy to go the wrong way on a street since they are not well marked.

As I have been driving around the city this week I have pondered the driving patterns here and my own driving. There were several lights that were out one day and there was very little rhyme or reason as to who went when. In reality everyone was trying to go and hence getting in each other’s way so that no one could go. I am not sure what would have happened had it been the States except that the police would probably show up since it was a major intersection. Another time I decided to stop as I approached the light that had just turned yellow. I was already braking when I realized I should have kept going because the car behind me was still coming at a very fast speed. It simply went around me and blazed through the intersection on red, heedless of the fact that cars were beginning to turn left in front of it. Although the law would say to stop, I was causing more danger by braking quickly in a country where running red lights is pretty acceptable. It is a challenge to learn how to drive safely in a city where most people do not seem to respect the laws and yet also follow the laws as much as I can.

No comments: