Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Responding to poverty

More and more as I spend time in the city, I am faced with the question of how do I respond to the poverty around me? Nearly every intersection on the main roads, hosts one or more people who walk from window to window asking for money. Some have physical disabilities, some are elderly, and some are young children. So often I find myself thinking, "Can't you find some other way to make money?" "Just because you are injured, does not mean that you cannot work... " and so on. But then I realized that what do I know about Honduras and the way things work here? Perhaps there really is no job for the elderly or those with disabilities. Maybe the only way for them to survive is to stand on the street corner. I come from a background where an emphasis was put on working hard and finding a way to get by. Yet I have never really been in need and have no idea how I would respond if I was in desperate need for even food. If I could not find a job, perhaps I would hold out my hand seeking money too.

Although I do not like to hand out money, I am thinking I need to find a way to respond to the people who are begging around me. I do not think that Christ would have kept his window rolled up and door locked, pretending not to see the needs beside him. He would have at least listened to their story. I want to find a way to acknowledge each one as a person, created and loved by God. Maybe that will be just talking and smiling with them for the moment, maybe it will be sharing some food, and yes maybe even giving some money upon rare occasion. Other times it might be praying for the person even with the window still rolled up. I certainly do not have the answers yet, but I know that I want Christ's love to be evident in my response even if that means taking a risk or two. Prayer and sensitivity to the Holy Spirit in each situation will be key

No comments: