Monday, November 19, 2007

An Orchestra Outside The House

November 19, 2007

Today I have had reminders of home. I just heard that they had a little bit of snow in Lancaster early this morning. While dropping off some missionaries at the airport, I saw some Mennonites and decided to go over and talk to them figuring that they just might know my relatives. I knew that there was a children's home down here where several of my second cousins have been. Sure enough, one couple was from PA and both couples know my extended family. It is a small world!

The other reminder of the north -- well, tonight I have a chorus of frogs sounding loud songs in the "pond" on the street. They bring back memories of hearing the croak of bullfrogs many a night in the little pond outside my house at Black Rock. A heavy rainfall this afternoon converted the street back into a pond and within hours the frogs arrived. Where they were the past several weeks I do not know but apparently they decided that there was sufficient water to warrent their return. Between the frogs, the dogs, and the rain it has not been a quiet evening. On Saturday evening the noise came from fireworks that sounded as if they were being set off just behind the house. Conversation was nearly impossible with my friend who was visiting.

Several days ago as I journeyed to the city I pondered whether it was legal to pass a police car (pick-up to be exact) in a no passing area since they were going 30mph. I did not risk trying and waited until I had a dotted line. Not much later though I saw a police car doing the passing in a no passing zone so I think that I have my answer. This evening as I was driving home well after dusk in the middle of a heavy rain I saw another police vehicle and this one still did not have its headlights on though it was clearly dark outside. I guess that they do not pull you over for that either. Very little seems to be enforced that should be. But I do know from experience that they pull over people who went the wrong way on a street because there were no signs within sight designating the direction of travel. It does not matter if they have only been driving for a week in Honduras. In reality I think it all depends on how the police feel on any given day. One could be fined for something that the police do themselves. This morning I went to get license plates for my car since I only have a temporary one and I was told that they are not making the metal ones right now. Thankfully I was spared having to stand in line for several hours waiting for that very answer. The next time I get stopped at a checkpoint I hope that the police do not act so surprised that I do not have real plates since there is nothing I can do about it at the moment. But we will see because one can never tell what will happen.

No comments: