Monday, November 12, 2007

A Saturday at camp


November 10, 2007
So all day yesterday I was planning for a day with no power as is typical on Saturdays at camp and we have power! It has almost messed up my schedule though not really. This morning I really had no desire to go for a run even though it was a beautiful morning for it but at 6:45AM I heard the sound of voices outside and saw the staff children there. They were ready to go running. This past week was their last week of classes till February and they are celebrating by wanting to run. Children are amazing! We set out on a jog around camp. I tried to give a few pointers on running since it is quite new for them. Perhaps we can have our own little x-country team before too long. One lap was enough for them so we stretched and eventually parted ways. They plan to meet up with me again tomorrow. I should have kept running in order to get some exercise but my plan was to finish mixing up Banana bread and a Carrot-Coconut bread before the electric went off at 8:00AM.

As I mentioned it never went off and I did not use the hand mixer anyway so it would not have mattered if I ran longer. I have realized though that maybe I am supposed to give up baking . My original plan had been to bake the banana bread while I was in the city but there was no baking powder. Last night as I was preparing to bake, I tried out my oven to be sure it worked and it did not. So this morning I carried the gas tank down to the Williamson’s house and set out to cook there. Though the oven lit, the smell of gas remained quite strong and I felt like there was a leak. I baked anyway and opened all of the doors, doing my reading outside and entering only occasionally to check on the bread. At one point 15 minutes passed in between my checks because I was talking to a guest and the temperature (which fluctuates without warning) rose drastically in that time so part of the banana bread got rather burnt. Such is baking here I guess.

No comments: