Monday, November 12, 2007

When will I ever learn?


November 12, 2007

The words of a Peter, Paul, & Mary song that my sister would sing came to my mind as I thought back on the past two days, only in the song it was "When will they ever learn?" I am back in the city having arrived this afternoon so that I do not have to leave in the wee hours of the morning for an 8:00AM meeting. I headed out early this evening for basketball practice which is supposed to start at 6:00PM. I intentionally left late because I am always the first one there and then have to wait around. I brought a book just in case and sure enough no one else was there so I busied myself reading, "Uncle Tom's Cabin" (more thoughts on that later). Finally around 6:26 I decided to call and see if practice had been cancelled. Yep, it was raining so there was no practice. I did not ask the logic of the situation but it probably has to do with driving in the rain at night. It definitely should be avoided when at all possible because the darkness and dimly lit streets already make potholes hard to see but combine it with heavy rain.... not a good story.

What am I not learning? Well, I keep skipping a good morning run because I expect to play soccer or basketball later in the day. I need to take advantage of the opportunity to exercise when I have it. One of the staff girls, Andrea, has faithfully gotten up the past 3 mornings to run. Once it was only she and I, and I was impressed with her pace. Today I heard the children's loud voices across camp as they participated in some game or make believe. I often wish that I could go back to the carefree days of childhood where the main goal of the day (at least during the summer) was to have fun. Yet I know that I would never be content to return. And according to my sisters, I would have been curled up with a book and not one of the one's running through the woods. In my opinion, it would have depended on the day and the book. But I do have plenty of memories of the night games with sisters and -- hiding in the ferns, dashing madly across the yard, and yelling for help from base. (I think that I did actually yell in those situations. For some reason that capability has escaped me for the most part in these later years).

My work this morning took me outside but not for the most glamorous of jobs. I finally decided that it was time to get to work on the compost pile. The area has been highly neglected and somehow lots of trash got thrown on the pile and has been sitting there for much too long. So I grabbed a shovel and some bags and got to work. The job would have gotten done much quicker had I used my bare hands or gloves (which I do not have) to pick up the trash but I could not bring myself to get that dirty. Partly decomposed food which has not been properly composted does not have the pleasantest of smells nor is it the most sanitary. In the compost area cantaloupe vines, tomato plants, and papaya trees have all been growing because we have not been mixing the compost. I really do not know that much about composting and have been trying to do some research especially for how to make it work in the open during rainy season. I think we have to cover the area but first the trash needed removed. As I worked at it, I could not help but think of all of the children around the world who live in garbage dumps or pass much of their time there searching for "treasures" for survival. What I consider completely disgusting and avoid touching, they dig through with bare hands and then eat with those same dirty hands coming in direct contact with their food. I know that I need to relax a bit on my perspective of "dirt." I wanted to think and pray while digging around in the muck, but it was one of those times where the mind stays rather blank. At least the job is done and hopefully I can educate the rest of the staff enough that plastic trash will not end up over there.

One last thought before closing. As I mentioned, I am reading "Uncle Tom's Cabin" a literary classic that somehow I passed over during my school years. What I find interesting and challenging about the book is that the author does not allow the reader to merely read and pass judgements on "those people who owned slaves" but she asks questions that cause one to evaluate their own life and walk, especially as a Christian.

No comments: