Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Folding and Unfolding of Plans

November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Day. This morning I kept forgetting what day it was in the States because I was working here. This afternoon though I headed to a missionary's house where 26 of us gathered for a very authentic Thanksgiving meal. It was not the same as being with family, but it was a good time. I only wished that I was feeling more up to eating the good food.

This evening I had plans to pick up another missionary from the airport and then drive to a camp several hours away where I was going to visit the family and their ministry. I figured that these plans were more solid than my plans earlier in the week, but no not really. The missionary's wife called me to say that the plane had been delayed because of snow (which was of course difficult for me to imagine on a day that feels like summer). So the new plan is to leave tomorrow in the morning. Driving during the day is wiser anyway so it is probably all for the better.

Yesterday I did take a short day trip with the pastor and his wife but we got left around 1:00PM instead of 11:00AM and therefore ran out of time to actually get to the Ecological project on the mountain. We did a very short hike to a waterfall and walked around a park that had a few animals. Eating lunch on a cliff above the water while listening to the crashing waves and watching pelicans gathering for their own feast out a ways, was refreshing. I, as usual ordered chicken, since I do not like fish. The pastor and his wife both ordered fish though. When my grilled chicken arrived I was surprised to see that it was breaded and very different in appearance from the chicken I had the day before. But nonetheless I started eating it and did not think much about the taste until the pastor pointed out that I had his fish and he my chicken. It was a disappointing realization because it meant that I had been eating fish without realizing and I "hate" fish. Another mark to emphasize that it is more in my head than anything else. The fish that the pastor's wife had though was another story. Too much work to de-bone a fish and have to look at the eyes and teeth while eating. I will stick with my chicken.

What will the weekend and trip to the camp hold? I have no idea. I will not worry about making too many plans because it will all change anyway. In a few days I will add a few pictures from the various trips.

No comments: