Wednesday, November 07, 2007

From the depths of a toaster

November 7, 2007

It's amazing what can instill fear or moments of panic. This evening I ate dinner late (if you could call it dinner) after returning from a church service. Having been slightly sick the last few days, I decided I should probably eat something simple like toast. The house I am staying in here in the city has a toaster, so I removed the towel from over it and put in my bread. Because it had been covered with a towel, I figured that probably nothing was inside, so I did not look. A few minutes later I heard the pop of the toast being done. (And about that time I sent the banana I was cutting, flying to the floor) Before I could head to the counter and retrieve the toast though, I heard a rattling noise. The sound immediately made me think of an animal trapped somewhere. Glancing around I saw no animal so I looked with fear at the toaster. I knew that it was probably a mouse and though I do not hate mice (rats yes) I am never looking for opportunities to either hold or kill them.

Gingerly I picked up the toaster, quickly removed the toast, opened the door to the carport, and then dared to look inside. Much to my surpise (considering the amount of noise that escaped from the toaster), what I saw inside was a fried gecko. It took a few minutes for me to decide what to do with it. My initial thought was "the trash can", but then I remembered fermaldahyde and regretted that I did not have any here in the city. I quickly remedied that problem by popping the gecko in the freezer until I can take it to camp and better preserve it there. I even managed to get it in a container without having to actually touch it. Thankfully I am the only one in the house for the next few days so no one should be startled when looking through the freezer.

As for the toast, I ate it anyway. And I wonder why I am sick? Later I found a dead ant in my granola which was in an ant-proof container. So much for even trying to protect my food.

I think that from now on I will stick to my toaster oven at camp where you can clearly see if anything is trying to hide out.

No comments: