Monday, October 29, 2007

Snow in Honduras?

October 26, 2007
I am beginning to wonder if I am hallucinating. Twice today I felt like I was looking at snow, but of course I was not. The first was on my drive back to camp this afternoon. It was around 4:30PM and the sun was already getting low in the sky. As I neared camp I noticed that the mixture of white and dark clouds made the mountains in the distance appear as if they were snow covered. Dark peaks (which were really mostly the dark clouds), seemed to poke their heads above the snow and low level clouds. It was a beautiful sight in spite of the fact that it was 76 F and the world around me was green as could be.

My second snow sighting came as I opened a saturated and slightly moldy, cardboard container of salt. When I returned from the States, I discovered that my house at camp was very damp and many things were getting moldy. Looking in at the salt, was like looking at a wet snow. Large snow crystals sticking together – perfect for a snowball. I should have made a “snowball” with some of the salt because it contains so much moisture I cannot imagine it ever drying out without becoming a brick. I transferred the salt to other containers and put some spaghetti noodles in with it to collect some of the moisture. The previous noodles were so saturated that they appeared “cooked.” I cannot imagine that I will have any other “snow” sightings soon. It is probably better if I do not. I am glad to be back at camp for more than a day which is what last week’s trip here was. I was able to chat with the other staff this evening and catch up a bit on life. I have a lot to do here before I head back to the city next week

No comments: