Sunday, December 02, 2007

Seeing the Stars from Center City


December 2, 2007

Last evening I went to my first concert in many years. It was the concert of Jesus Adrian Romero, a Latin Worship leader from Mexico. The concert took place downtown San Pedro Sula in an open stadium. Thousands of people packed into the stadium and as night fell I noticed that I could see a few stars overhead, including Pleiades (or the 7 Sisters). I thought of my family who I knew was together in a cabin in northen PA, perhaps looking up at the stars on a crisp snowy winter evening. And although I did know I would love being with them, I was content to be where I was at. I thought about too how an outdoor concert in PA would not be an option on a December 1. As I sat there I realized that I am thankful that I have the opportunity to be both in the city and in the country. Earlier in the day I had gone on a 2 hour birdwatching hike on some property just adjacent to camp. It is an area that I never had ventured to before and loved the beauty of the area from the coffee trees to the sauntering creek. The only sad part is that it was not recommended that I go there alone so my trips to the area will be few and far between.

The concert was good and actually a time for some reflection, worship and prayer. That morning I had been with God for some solo time in my hammock and been challenged and in the evening He spoke to me while I was amongst a crowd of thousands. God is amazing and His ability to meet us where we are at.

This morning as I went to leave for church, I discovered that my car would not start. So much for days for too many consecutive days without car issues. I took a taxi to the Spanish church I go to and from there another taxi to an International, English-speaking church. I had lunch with people from the latter church and got to spend the time chatting in Spanish with a new friend from Costa Rica. The missionary couple that seems to always rescue me when I have car trouble checked out my vehicle and it seems to be the battery, not the starter which is a good thing. I do not understand why but my dad said he won't deliver a battery to me (I do still endorse Interstate Batteries though) so I will have to head to the local version of Sam's Club, BJ's or Coscos tomorrow morning. Then it is back to camp -- I think, but I do have a lot of errands to run and to unfamiliar stores such as hardware stores and electric stores so who knows what will actually happen. I guess that it is good my basketball game for this afternoon had been cancelled since I would have had trouble getting there on time.

No comments: