Thursday, December 20, 2007

And We're Off




December 20, 2007

Last Saturday, immediately after a basketball game, I made the trip out to camp arriving just before dark. As I drove the sun was setting in front of me which is never good for seeing the road, but it can make a pretty sight from time to time. Such was the case as I neared camp and the sun was setting behind the mountains. At one place the road crosses a river that winds off to the right and disappears between two mountains. As I passed this spot on Saturday, I noticed two boys standing in the water with the backdrop of the mountains behind them. It made me think of the movie A River Runs Through It which I think I saw in high school (or at least some of it before I fell asleep). I loved the beauty and the tranquility of the sight and in reality I wanted to be in the river rather than on a hurried drive so as to beat the darkness.

As the sun set behind the mountains it had the appearance of an orange ball of flame which cast a pinkish-orange shadow across the sky just above the mountaintops. Another beautiful sight except that I knew daylight was being chased away and I did not have much time for getting home.

At camp this week we have had a group of about 250 youth from a program called Icthus. Icthus is an international ministry that works with youth from schools and churches, many of whom are not Christians. I found out the end of last week that the group needed help with the ropes course so I helped out on Tuesday. It meant cancelling a meeting and changing plans that I had in the city, which I do not like doing but it was necessary. I still have cultural adjustments to make for sure. Being content to go with the flow and not know what is going on more than a few hours (or minutes) ahead of time. I think that there are instances when more planning needs to be brought to the programs and preparation of the groups, but there are also times when I need to learn to just relax. A give and a take.

I reached the city yesterday morning and tried to get everything ready before taking a vacation. My cousin arrived last night and today we are off on what I hope will be fun, yet relaxing, adventures.
*Photo: me holding a Motmot that was found trapped in the dorms

No comments: