Monday, December 03, 2007

A Glimpse of the "If"

December 3, 2007

This afternoon I had a glimpse of what could have happened to me had I moved my car out into the intersection faster than I did. I was the first car in one of 3 lanes of cars at a red light and when the light turned green, the cars behind us began honking, but I did not move because I noticed the car coming from the left had yet to slow down. Sure enough as the car to my right pulled out into the intersetion the other car was continuing through the light on red. It slammed on its brakes and stopped inches before striking the other car which had also stopped. Where the car (that had been running the red light) stopped was exactly where I would have been had I pulled out immediately when the light turned green. I probably would have been sandwiched between the two cars, and I can only guess what condition I would have been in. And so I sat in my spot, watching the scene and thanking the Lord that for once in my life I had been taking my time. The car to the left backed out of the intersection and I was able to move forward, being just about the only car to make it through the light. Yes, slowing down can be good and I will continue to try and do so more often.

No comments: