Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Where San Pedro Stands Now


June 2, 2009

It is easy to forget that there was an earthquake 4 days ago when here in San Pedro. I have not seen any visible damage here. Yesterday I was in Puerto Cortes visiting with a Houghton College group and there the damage was extensive as you can see in the photo. Instead of the rumbling from earthquakes, I am here the droning of helicopters overhead. The Assembly of the Americas is happening here in San Pedro Sula and the streets are crazy. I tried to get to the church this morning and eventually gave up. The police and military were redirecting traffic so much that it was not worth the time it would have taken to get there.

On Sunday Evelin, Lisbeth, and I went to a nearby road where you can hike up the mountain and on the way there I saw a mini-tank (at least that was what it looked like to me). Perhaps it was just a small cannon with ammunition hanging out of it, mounted on an armored vehicle. At any rate it was not something I expected to see on the street. Monday morning I went for a run and my goal was not to have to pass any of the military but they were standing there on the street corners with their large guns. This morning I decided to skip the run since it was a little disconcerting.

I have not figured out what happened with internet because when I returned to the city on Saturday I had it in the apartment that evening. But then Sunday it was gone again until evening. It seems to be steadily on now so I am not sure how the fiber optic cable under the ocean was repaired so quickly. I am thankful nonetheless. And I continue to be thankful that there was not large scale damage from the earthquakes, nor did a tsunami result from any of them. Hearing what could have happened to Puerto Cortes and the people I know there reminded me that yes God is good.

No comments: