Friday, June 26, 2009

From Toddlers to Military Coups

June 26, 2009

Sometimes it is surprising how the daily things of life go on as normal even when outside the house, the world can be on the brink of crisis. That is a little how I have felt today. Lisbeth, the toddler in my apartment, is busy pushing her new plastic chair all around the living room (a tile floor). I am not sure how that constitutes as play or what she imagines that she is doing but the grating of the chair against tile has been going on for at least 10 minutes. I do have to smile at her. I was not smiling though when I heard a noise coming from her bedroom during the time that she was supposedly napping and I entered to find her on top of the desk. She was caught in the act but did not even really have a guilty look on her face. Since her mom had run downtown while she was napping, I had to get her down, make sure she had not eaten anything poisonous (since she also got into the bathroom cupboard and just about everything else in the room), and of course there was her dirty diaper. For the first time I mastered the cloth diaper and safety pins. I then proceeded to do my computer work from the hall way so that I could ensure she was staying put in bed. She discovered how to get out of the playpen (which is also broken so cannot really serve as her bed anymore) so no matter where she "sleeps" we are not assured that she will not leave her bed. When her mom arrived home, Lisbeth was still wide awake and I gladly relinquished any baby-sitting responsibilities.

So that is in the house but outside in the rest of Honduras, there is much tension. The Honduran president has seemingly been trying to find a way to stay in power come this November election and so he wants a fourth box put on the election ballot that would affirm allowing a constitutional change (presumably the part that says a president cannot be re-elected). Things have come to a head this week because on Sunday the president plans to have a vote about whether the fourth ballot box can be added, an action declared unconstitutional and illegal by the Supreme Court. When the military chief refused to provide military protection for the referendum this Sunday, the president fired him. (That was Wednesday). Yesterday the Congress re-instated the military chief and has people investigating the president's actions and from what I have heard, threatening him with jail. Meanwhile Chavez of Venezuela says that he supports the Honduran president's actions. There is question as to whether Sunday's referendum will be peaceful or will turn to violence. Will the president be imprisoned? Will there be a military coup? I have no idea but the warning is out there not to travel on Sunday. I plan to head to camp before then. I think I will feel safer out there away from the city.

I have never been in an area where there was threat of a military coup or a political uprising. It brings many mixed emotions. I think that I have a healthy fear but am not overwhelmed by fear. One of the things that I have been realizing is that probably if things got too bad, I could get out. But what about my Honduran friends for whom Honduras is their home? They do not have a passport that allows them to travel to another country and seek shelter or a new life. So what I am experiencing is still nothing in comparison to the Hondurans themselves. I am praying for peace and that Sunday will not bring violence from either side of the government or people.

No comments: