Thursday, June 18, 2009

Am I a Hypocrite?

June 18, 2009
That is the question of the evening. To me it seems hypocritical to try and teach what I cannot even do myself and yet that is what I attempted to do this evening. Evelin has wanted to learn a little bit on the guitar and I have had my guitar here in Honduras for the last 2 years. I can count on one hand the number of times I have actually played. Emily, my old roommate, practiced on it much, much more than I. But this evening we got the guitar out and after attempting unsuccessfully to tune the guitar, I moved on to showing Evelin several chords. Thankfully for her there is a book with pictures too 1.) because I am not a very good teacher and 2.) I probably will not be here when she wants to practice.

I pity the neighbors as I strummed a few notes on an out of tune guitar. The fact that I can never actually tune the guitar is what most often keeps me from playing. I have enough trouble making it sound musical that being out of tune from the start is not good. I will have to call upon the help of the Williamson's the next time they are in the city to get the guitar in tune and then hopefully Evelin can learn to play a little something. She needs to do some finger stretches and exercises first because her fingers do not quite reach from one fret and string to the other.

Forgetting the sound of the out of tune guitar, another delightful sound did fill the house just a few minutes ago. It was the sound of rain on the aluminum roof. Until this past Monday when we had a quick downpour, I do not think it had rained in over a month. I am ready for some rain to bring life and a little coolness to the city.

Tomorrow I head out to camp after a long spell in the city, thanks to the flu. It will be good to be out there again and connect with the staff as well as lead some activities on the ropes course on Saturday.

No comments: