Monday, June 08, 2009

Where Are My Senses?

June 8, 2009

I read in the paper this morning that there was an earthquake of 5.7 just offshore from Honduras last night around 11:15PM. The tremors lasted for at least 7 seconds and I felt nothing. Eversince the first large earthquake, I have been unaware of the many smaller ones that followed. I do not know why I am so insensitive to them.

So, I have a little more peace of mind with the start of this week because the rumors that I had been hearing about political tensions, appear to be just that -- rumors -- and nothing more. That is a comfort.

Walking through camp this morning, I was blessed with a glimpse of a large iguana scurrying off to hide. Anywhere you walk these days, the sound of crunching is heard overhead as the locusts nibble on the bark, leaves, and pine needles. I almost want to just take a nap on the ground because there is such a soft layer of pine needles covering it. Sadly though, they should not all be there and it is only because of the plague of locusts. Hmm... I can understand a little better how miserable it must have been for the Egyptians when the locusts swarmed them because I know it was many more than our "small" plague. I do not usually go out of my way to kill insects (except ticks, mosquitos, and other bugs that are "dangerous"). This weekend though I have been trying to take out a few locusts though in an effort to curb their destruction of camp. I know that my efforts are miniscule though and really will not do too much.

All of the activities of the weekend are now over. On Saturday I did my hike with the young children. It went pretty well except that I had planned for 2 hours and ended up with less than an hour. It was hard to keep their attention without being able to do some of the fun little activities I had planned. And we never did make it to hiking through the ravine which was what the leaders had wanted. Since two of the dogs on camp accompanied us on our hike, we had a hard time seeing any animals which was a disappointment.

Yesterday was a baby shower for two the wives of the Honduran staff. It was a new experience for them -- this type of baby shower. I know it was a blessing though to receive the gifts that they did and to have some fun playing a few games. I will post some pictures a little later. For now I want to work on a few more things while still at camp.

No comments: