Sunday, June 29, 2008

Who knew planting could be so hard?

June 28, 2008

I hardly know where to begin in reflecting on this past week at camp with a work team, but I will try to make some progress. Last Sunday a group of youth and leaders from Upland, Indiana arrived at camp to help us with various projects. They were incredibly hard workers and put in long hours. Projects included: digging an 8x8 hole for a septic tank (which I think ended up being bigger in size), digging trenches for footers, making cement, laying blocks, moving lots of dirt, building a retention wall of rocks, planting bushes, and working on the construction of a new ropes course element. I worked mostly with the ropes course element and the planting. Because I had to run back and forth between the two projects I felt like I never really put in much physical labor though I was still tired by the end of the day. Only twice did I find the time to play soccer at the end of the day even though I would have enjoyed playing more.

Along with the group from Indiana there were 13 youth from the church that I attend in the city. The majority were bilingual but a few were not. It was really neat to see the unity develop between the two groups over the course of the week. One turning point seemed to be when for an hour over supper no one was allowed to speak English. Suddenly the Hondurans had the opportunity to be comfortable in their own language and teach those from North America.

*Photo: Lunch with children from a mountain school on Ministry Day.

An interesting experience for me was planting Boganvilia along the fence, just outside of camp. We like the flower to be a border plant, hiding some of the barbwire fence and adding a few thorns to deter entering outside of via the gate. I never knew that there could be so many hindrances to planting though. Three holes into digging on the first day, one of the youth called out saying that he had hit a water pipe with his pick ax and sure enough there was a nice sized hole in the PVC pipe. At first we thought it was the water for the town just down the hill but later one of the Honduran staff said that it goes to the neighboring farm and not the town. Whatever the case, we knew we had to fix it but of course none of us knew how. There was a builder on camp though and within 10 minutes or so he arrived on the scene and with the water still pouring from the hole, he managed to change out a portion of the PVC pipe for a new one. I was impressed.
Yes, they are climbing the mtn in that truck!

Discovering that the water pipe was only 6-8 inches below the surface of the ground caused us to change our planting plan since we would have been in danger of striking the pipe with ever swing of the ax. Shortly after the water pipe experience we encountered lots of biting ants which made working with one’s hands in the soil a bit challenging. Some of the youth became experts at breaking up large rocks with the pick ax. Later in the week a couple of girls came upon some scorpions as they were digging. I think the list goes on of challenges with the planting process but I have forgotten what all I was going to write.

No comments: