Sunday, June 15, 2008

What if...?

June 21, 2008

*Note this entry was started last Sunday and is a bit old, but at least I am finally writing it.

I had a very "what if...?" experience yesterday. I have only been back in Honduras for 2 days but the adventures begin. The first adventure is actually a huge praise -- my A/C in the car works again. There is now a strange noise, but there is cold air and for now I am just grateful for that.

Yesterday I had a busy day planned with picking up a friend at the mall, cleaning, laundry, and a basketball game. My roommate Emily had a friend visiting from the States who had arrived late the night before. I had been up late Friday night watching a movie and for once I was able to sleep in until a little after 7:00AM. By the time I got up and was heading out of my room, Emily knocked on my door because she wondered if I was okay and still alive. After a morning run, I came back and did laundry. I was hanging out my laundry when Emily came out to say goodbye before heading off to the beach. Just to give a little description of the house -- we have a little patio off of the kitchen (where I was along with the washer) and then another patio off of the dining room. There is a screen door at the kitchen which Emily was locking and unlocking as she talked to me (though I was unaware of it). She and her friend left and I continued hanging up some laundry but for some reason decided to take some over to the other patio.

I grabbed the door and pulled on it, only to discover that it was locked. In that next brief moment of panic many things passed through my mind. 1.) My cell phone is locked in the house upstairs. 2.) Emily is leaving for the ENTIRE day. 3.) I am supposed to pick up a friend at the mall in about an hour and I have no way to contact him which means he will be stranded (more or less) in the city. 4.) I have no food nor water on the porch though my Bible and journal are here (but no pen). (Could I put chlorine in the tap water and then drink it?) 5.) I wonder if I could climb over the razor wire -- which would actually only lead to some other person's property and another wall to climb over. 6.) There goes playing in my basketball game this evening, and 7.) I wonder if the step ladder would be tall enough to get me on the small roof so I could jump down in the parking area and go in search of my landlords and a key.

Of course all of these thoughts crossed through my mind in just a few seconds and I found myself pounding on the screen door yelling (or so I thought) "Emily!" She had only left a minute ago. Apparently my yells were more like a whimper but Emily heard them through the kitchen window and came back into the house. She was surprised at what she had done and of course claimed it was "unintentional." (And I know that it was). It was an interesting few seconds though as I considered what my day could have been like. In the end I had a good day and made a dent in my list of things to do as well as spent time with friends. I should confess that today, now a week after my being locked on the patio, I locked Emily there this morning too and again, unintentionally. Just as I did, she for some reason decided to re-enter the house before I left on errands and discovered the damage. I really was not seeking revenge though it may have appeared that way. I think we may have to start storing potable water out there and other emergency supplies. I definitely will try for the roof escape route if I get trapped out there and I think it would be a bit of an adventure as long as I did not have to be somewhere within the hour.

No comments: