Thursday, June 05, 2008

An Assortment of Happenings

June 3, 2008

It has been ages since I last wrote and so much has happened so I really do not know where to begin. I am writing from the air as I take a last minute trip to the States. It was time to see family again. I will have the chance to see quite a few people, including my grandparents in Florida. I am hoping too that either I will carry back with me the part to fix my car’s air conditioning problem or I will get word that the mechanic in Honduras got it and successfully installed it. The latter would be cheaper but I have already waited 2 months for the part to come in and my confidence has been waning.

I think that when I last wrote I was busy preparing for an Outdoor Education program on May 26 which did happen and went well. I found myself very tired after that day because I had spent the weekend training staff and being the hostess for them. It was fun but I was ready for some quiet moments. I cannot thank the Lord enough though for providing the needed staff and that we all got along so well. Before Sunday most of us had been strangers. I learned a lot about what it means to run an Outdoor Education program here in Honduras and the details that I need to improve for next time. It was neat to see the youth excited about experiencing science and God’s creation first hand, rather than just reading about them in a textbook.

Last Saturday (the 24th) the rains began with a vengeance. I was at camp and I discovered water gushing into my cabin through a small hole in the roof. Yesterday we had a big storm in the city and we ended up with a lake in the courtyard area outside our kitchen since the floor drain was not permitting the water to escape.

On Saturday, June 1st, I went to a farewell party for various members of the International Church who are soon leaving Honduras. I was surrounded by gringos and expatriates but I sought out a young Honduran girl who was sitting alone and spent most of the time talking to her. In the evening I had another basketball game which we ended up winning but should not have due to our attitudes and actions. Various team members were swearing and one got kicked out of the game for slapping an opposing team member who supposedly had discreetly hit her. I was ashamed to be on the team because being a “winner” had become a little too important and integrity and character were compromised. I have actually not been present at enough games to play in the championship so that may have been my last game for a while. I want to play for fun and that game was not fun.

No comments: