Thursday, June 05, 2008

Reflections on Prince Caspian and Travel

June 3, 2008

On Sunday night I made it to the theater to see Prince Caspian at long last. I wanted to see it in the theater and not just at home months later. I realized that I had forgotten much of the story and really should reread the books. There was definitely some food for thought within the movie. I found myself annoyed with Peter and his haughty attitude as well as how he kept taking things into his own hands. He seemed to think past victories were evidence to his ability to fight. He forgot all about Aslan’s involvement. His words, “I think we have waited for Aslan long enough,” were very telling of his intentions to do what he thought best and in his time.

But after seeing the movie, I began to realize that I do the same thing with God sometimes. I think that because I was successful in one area in the past, I can continue with what I did before rather than seeking His counsel and confirmation. And those times when I feel like I am not getting an answer quickly from the Lord, I am tempted to just venture out into the plan that I think best and hope God is also in favor of it. Peter asks Lucy how it is that she saw Aslan and he did not. Her response is that maybe he did not really want to see Aslan. If he saw Aslan, he would be changed and he could not longer follow his own will. And Peter seemed to want to prove that he could be king and free Narnia. He was more concerned about his glory than that of Aslan or maybe even the good of the people. I want a heart like Lucy’s that seeks God’s presence wherever I am and waits expectantly. I want my heart to be soft towards the needs of others and always looking for ways to love. I have so far to go though in letting God more and more transform me into the likeness of His Son.

Thunderstorms seem to be the theme of today’s air travel. Although I have not experienced airport delays because of them, there has been turbulence. On the segment from Miami to Atlanta I could see the huge thunder cloud to my left which we were trying to skirt around. Even going around it though resulted in some shaky moments (nothing serious by any means). I had to ponder storms in life as I saw that cloud. There are those times when our path seems to take us directly through the thunderstorm and we experience the brunt of the winds and rain. Other times though God takes us along the gentler trail where the fiercest trials do not have to be endured. The latter tends to be the “round-about” way though and it takes longer to reach what I may perceive to be my final destination.

On this last leg of my journey we ran into a problem about ½ hour after leaving Atlanta. The weather radar stopped working and since there were thunderstorms ahead, we had to turn around. I was not happy to say the least. I could see myself stuck in Atlanta for the night and although I have family there the stay would be so short it would hardly warrant them driving to the airport to pick me up. I was so anxious to just get to PA that I wanted to say, “Just go ahead and fly there anyway.” Of course I know very little about flying and radars but I did have to think that flying without a radar could mean heading into the worst part of the storm. It is dangerous to fly without direction and knowledge of what is ahead. And for me it is dangerous to move ahead with my own plans if I have not gotten direction from God. I need Him as radar to direct my steps. I am not capable of setting out on my own. Right now the turbulence is such that I should stop typing and put my computer away. It is a good thing we went back and got a new radar even though it means arriving to PA two hours later than scheduled. At least it is the same day and we are safe.

No comments: