Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Wanderings in the States

June 10, 2008

I begin this blog entry from the air as I start the journey southward. I have a few days before I leave for Honduras yet because I will be spending some time with my grandparents and other relatives in Florida. It has been a quick, but good time in PA. I only spent one day at Black Rock which is actually a record since normally I visit there several times, even during a short trip. I would have liked to hang out there more, whether in the woods or with people but I had other priorities during this trip – being with family. From Thursday evening through Saturday evening, I was in northern PA at my parents’ cabin. What a beautiful spot! We went out for a canoe trek on the Pine Creek which ended up being more of a water war than anything else. I was impressed at my sister Val’s agility at hopping in and then tipping other canoes. We made a pretty good team.

I got in a very short hike on the Black Forest Trail with my dad. On the last day we canoed again and this time I took out the one canoe by myself. There were several times when the wind was so strong that it sent me spinning in circles and once I had to jump out and swim with the canoe because I could make no progress in paddling. I watched in awe as a bald eagle swooped behind my canoe with a fish in its talons and a small bird chasing after it. I watched them disappear into the woods and the eagle come to rest on a fallen tree. The little bird kept up its pestering and I was reminded that you have to watch out for the little things. My parents, sister, and I had a lovely moment of miscommunication when we were asking for an explanation of how the ground hog entered the basement (of my dad) and he could not grasp our question because having been in the basement so much, it was obvious to him where the groundhog entered from. But the rest of us were unfamiliar with the basement. We actually were not on the same page with our questions either and did not completely understand one another, even amongst the girls. In the end we all got our point across but it took a while. I realized that miscommunications are not just a cross-cultural issue.

On Sunday I shared in my church, spent more time with family and finally played a game of Ultimate Frisbee again. Monday I visited a few people, began to pack, and enjoyed visiting with other friends and family at a Spring Picnic. Sadly it felt nothing like spring during my whole time in the north. I must have brought the hot weather with me. I wish that I could leave it behind in PA but I know that it will greet me in Honduras too.

After a few days with family in Florida, I will return to Honduras. It sounds like my car’s A/C might be fixed and I will not need the part I ordered here in the States with the intentions of carrying it back. That is good news.

No comments: