Sunday, July 06, 2008

The Winds of Sudden Change

July 6, 2008

I am squeezing all of my blog entries in at one time -- while I still have internet connection. Today dawned sunny and hot. Immediately after church I headed to my second basketball game of the weekend (the first game was last night and though my team won, I did not play very well or prove to be much of a help). I was determined to play to the best of the ability that the Lord has given to me and to be a little more confident in that ability. I also considered imagining that I was playing at Black Rock with staff where the game comes much easier, but when on the court, I forgot that part. Two of the key players had not appeared by the time the game started so I knew that I was needed. They showed up in time to play in the second half, but I had a chance to play and to play much better than in any of my previous games.

After basketball I returned to my apartment to prepare food for the dinner with my friends and to relax a bit. I already knew that I was down to 2 friends coming over instead of 3 or 4 and the time of their arrival kept getting pushed back, but such is life. Around 5:00PM I received a call from the person who was to coordinate the 7:00PM meeting and discovered that since not everyon could be present, we were postponing it until a week from now. Well, my friend Lourdes came shortly after 5:00PM and we worked on a puzzle and chatted while waiting for my other friend. After a lengthy amount of time we decided to go ahead and eat since I could not get in touch with my other friend. Needless to say there was plenty of food. Somewhat in honor of the fourth of July and summer, I had made strawberry shortcake. It is the season (more or less) of strawberries here in Honduras but they are not nearly as sweet as the ones I am accustomed to.

Just before the time when I needed to take Lourdes to catch a taxi, the rains began in full force with a strong wind as well. The rain this evening seemed to come out of nowhere since it had been so warm and sunny. I had to run out and move the plants to shelter so that they would not be flooded in their pots and had to close all of the windows because the wind drove the rain inside. Though the lights flickered a few times, there were no power outages on my side of the city. While waiting for the rain to calm down, I taught Lourdes Speed Scrabble (or Take One) with Spanish Scrabble letters. I had been wanting to play a game of some sorts for a few days and realized that Scrabble in Spanish would be good practice for me. Indeed it is. And so the weekend ends and tomorrow I head to camp. Tomorrow evening we will have our staff Bible Study reunion though the Williamsons are away on vacation. They had started to watch the Jesus Film in Spanish which I think that we will start again. There is a good possibility that the builder and his family will join us for the video and they are not Christians. I am praying that the Lord will work in and through me as I give a little of the leadership to the evening. I definitely need His words and help.

No comments: