Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Plague of Mosquitoes

July 31, 2008

And so the months tick by. I cannot believe that tomorrow is August already. It has been a busy week or so but sadly it seems like most of the busyness was in vain. I was preparing for a group next weekend by training some people to help, putting together the schedule, and altering lesson plans only to get a call yesterday to hear that they are postponing until later in August. Because they will now be coming mid-week, I have no idea where I will find all of the people to help. It is frustrating seeing a bunch of my work simply be in vain and yet I know that at least some of what I did with the lessons will prove useful for future groups.

Tuesday and Wednesday of this week I was out at camp working on some ropes course repairs. I looked more like I was a bee keeper because the mosquitoes were so abundant in the jungle that I pulled out my mosquito netting for my face and wore long sleeves even though the heat made it a little unbearable. Anything is better than being the feast for the mosquitoes which I still was but not so much my face. Monday night I awoke around midnight to the sound of mosquito buzzing at my face. I knew that I could not sleep again with it there so I sat up and read until it came around and I killed it. It must have known my plans though because it waited a good 20 minutes to re-appear. Just as I settled down to sleep again, I heard another mosquito. This time I fished out the mosquito netting and covered up. This time of year seems to be the worst for the mosquitoes since I remember being here three years ago over this time and every time I tried to take a picture, the mosquitoes would feast on my fingers.
My to do list continues to be long but hopefully I will make some progress on it over the next few days, including getting a newsletter written

No comments: