Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The Simplicity of Little Children

July 8, 2008

I made an unexpected return trip to the city today because I was all packed to leave for the neighboring camp when I received a call saying that no one was getting to camp until midnight tonight which meant no place for me to stay. I knew that I at least had to go to town for internet so I did that and discovered that the connection was so slow, I would never be able to do the things I needed to, primary of which was order some ropes course supplies. I also discovered when getting air put in my tires that they need rotated and my car aligned -- a job for the city. I hope to be able to get that done "quickly" in the morning and still get to the camp in good time.

So I returned to the city and was only in my apartment a few minutes when my friend came over with her two year old son. She needed to do some research on the computer so I took Julian outside to try and play with his dump truck. He really did not seem too interested in it and after a while I found a plastic water bottle laying on the pavement. This water bottle quickly became a soccer ball and we had some good moments kicking it around until he decided to use it as a weapon for hitting people instead. I was impressed though that such a simple item could capture the attention of a 2 year old for a good 15 minutes. Impressed and thankful since I really do not have any toys in the apartment.

This evening I joined up with the Williamsons for dinner and then sent Wes and Cindy on their way for a date while I hung out with the children. Some of us played a game and others read. All in all it has been pretty tranquil evening. I hope that tomorrow is tranquil and that the re-alignment takes care of all of the car problems since it feels to me like something else is not right. I am planning to make the hour and a half drive to the camp without visiting my mechanic (the alignment gets done somewhere else) because I do not have time to leave the car there for inspection. I am praying that it will hold up through next week till I am in the city again for a full day.

No comments: