Saturday, July 19, 2008

To Colombia

July 19, 2008

I must write at least a short entry today. On Thursday afternoon I arrived in the country of Colombia with surprisingly, no adventures in the travels. All of the excitement had come the day before when I learned I was supposed to have a yellow fever vaccination in order to travel to Colombia. Actually the vaccination is needed for returning to Honduras. Apparently there is no yellow fever in Central America though it is very common in South America. The mosquitoes that carry Dengue in Central America are the same type that could carry yellow fever. So if an infected person returned to Central America with yellow fever and was bitten by the right kind of mosquito, an outbreak of yellow fever could occur. Through no small miracle, Wes, Cindy, and I were able to get our vaccinations about 3 hours after I discovered that we needed them (and they were still at camp, an hour and a half away) but we were technically 7 days late. A doctor took us to the clinic where we could get the card and vaccination and we arrived there only 20 minutes before it closed. The woman did not want to give us the shots but the doctor was persistent. The vaccination is free but in order to give us the shots, she would have to open five doses which would mean two would be wasted -- something she could not do. Wes and Cindy solved that problem by having their two oldest children vaccinated even though they did not need the shot at this moment. As long as they travel to South America in the next 10 years, it will be worth it. The woman made sure that we knew she was putting the correct date on the card and was not going to say we had received the shot 10 days beforehand. That was fine with us because we wanted to be honest and follow the regulations. If we are to make it in and out of Colombia without issue, it will be because God clears the path, not because we bribe our way or cut corners.

No one even looked at our yellow cards (though they asked if we had them) as we left Honduras but we have heard of people having trouble when they go to leave Colombia for Central America. We are praying that they do not look at our date or at least believe us when we say that we were not in an area of Colombia where yellow fever is present. I have too many commitments and meetings to spend the rest of the week in Colombia waiting for 10 days to pass from the day of our vaccination. We will see what unfolds. There could yet be adventure. In the meantime I am enjoying the missionary retreat and what little I have seen of Colombia. It is much more beautiful than I expected with an interesting architecture (somewhat colonial Spanish), roads that seem well maintained and cows that are well fed. I, of course, am only seeing one small part of the country so I know that poverty and destruction does exist.

This morning I went for a short run in one of the nearby towns. I loved being able to see more of the countryside and to exercise again. I noticed that most of the buildings here seem to be brick and in this area of the country at least, the cars are not shut in garages behind bars. There is the appearance at least of a safer environment. I had not run for almost three weeks so I found the change in altitude to 6500ft a little challenging since I am usually at less than 1000ft. On my run I stumbled upon a little park with a pond and rather bold ducks. For a moment I thought that they might try and attack me since they headed right towards me. I love finding glimpses of God’s creation amidst buildings and roads.

No comments: