Sunday, August 03, 2008

Battling the Floods

August 3, 2008

Last evening I was at the house of friends when a big storm passed through San Pedro Sula and dumped lots of water. I left their house at 9:15PM and as I headed down the main highway I noticed what looked like a standstill in traffic ahead so I turned right at the light, figuring I could find my way home eventually. I did not expect to have to drive through such high water though. I was ever so thankful for my SUV that allowed me to pass through the waters and not be one of the victims of a flooded engine. I passed 5 or more cars pulled off the side of the road because of their passage through the waters. The drainage system apparently could not handle the volume of water because the water was gushing up out of the man hole covers. I was praying each time I drove through the high waters because I had discovered that I had left my cell phone at the apartment which meant that if I had car trouble, I would have to walk and it was dark and I was on some back roads. I probably have not been so scared in quite a while. Thankfully I managed to make it through the flooded areas and arrive at the apartment with my car in one piece. I think that I hit at least one open man hole though so who knows what external damage I did to the car. My biggest concern was getting home without having to walk so I was still happy.

This afternoon I hiked up to the Coca Cola sign with two girls from Taiwan and one Honduran. We had a triangle of communication in that 3 of us spoke Spanish, 2 Mandarin, and 2 English. There was no language in which we could speak and have everyone understand each other. I had to tell several stories in Spanish and then again in English in order to make sure everyone understood. It was a good hike and I was glad to have an alternative activity as opposed to just sitting in the mall eating something or drinking coffee.

No comments: