Sunday, August 24, 2008

Walking With Others

August 24, 2008

I look back on this past week and the word that would probably best describe it is "painful." Not so much my pain as the pain of others. My roommate and I and two other friends had planned to do an all day hike yesterday but in the end decided that we just had too much going on to spend the entire day away. As it turned out, God knew that we were needed in the city. Mid-day my neighbor and friend, Crystal, called me crying and when I went over to her house, I discovered that her mother-in-law had just passed away. The mother-in-law who was much of the reason that she and her family are even here in Honduras. I hardly had the words to share in comfort but I listened and prayed with her. We took her son on a drive so that he would fall asleep and then she returned home and I began to make a meal for her, one of the least of things that I could do. I had a basketball game late afternoon which I considered just skipping in order to be available for whatever came up, but my roommate said that she could watch Julian when they attended the wake. My heart really was not in the game though.

I came back to the house and finished the meal and shortly thereafter Emily, a friend, and Julian returned to the house. Julian has lots and lots of energy but thankfully while Emily and I were in the kitchen the friend ran around with Julian. We were not sure how bedtime would go since Julian never really stays with anyone except his grandma but my turn came to sit with him. Having finished his milk, he wanted more milk and I said no since it had been his second bottle and I had visions of disaster during the night. Julian decided to get up and walk around and did not want to sleep. Shortly thereafter came the tears and cries for his mom. I held him for a little while but he was not falling asleep. Finally I gave him some water and he laid down to drink it. Meanwhile I sang "Jesus Loves Me" and "Jesus Loves the Little Children" over and over until at long last he fell asleep. I did not even have the worst jobs of the evening though -- the diaper changing and the bath.

Because my schedule is so busy these next few days with a quick trip to camp and then several meetings here in the city, I am not sure how much I will be available for my friend. I am praying that good will come out of the situation because so many in the family are hurting deeply.

My next meeting is calling me so any further updates will have to come later in the week.

No comments: