Sunday, August 31, 2008

Cross-Cultural Learning

August 31, 2008

The past few days have opened my eyes to see just how much learning I still have when it comes to cross cultural living. The way I would tend to handle conflict and a complicated situation is apparently not the best tactic for here in Honduras. In my experience, going directly to a person and discussing the issue at hand is usually the best approach and I wanted to employ it here in a situation, but my Honduran friends cautioned me against it and we took the round about way to confront. I felt like it was copping out, but perhaps it is not. My "right" way might not be so right way in this cultural context. And so it has been a very challenging week to say the least. It can be hard to figure out how to be yourself in a culture that holds different views than what I am used to. How to be friendly and polite but not lead someone to think anything more. How to lend a hand to someone without shaming them or stepping on toes. The list goes on and on of what I have to learn yet as to how to respond.

Yesterday I went with some friends from the Samaritan's Purse to a girl's home here in the city. We sang with them, played some games, and then did a craft. I discovered later than many of them are in the home because they have been abused and the government intervened. There were several small babies there whose mothers are still teenagers. I held one little 7 month old girl who was incredibly active and alert, but so skinny. The girls all wanted love and attention. They asked when we would be back again. As I was there I realized again that it would be good to be able to regularly connect with some children either at an orphanage or at a girl's home. They need to see Christ in the people that come into their lives and they need to know that they are loved by a Heavenly Father who will not harm them but instead gave up His only Son for them. Such a father many of these girls have never known. And so I pray that God will show me how I can perhaps be more involved and build some relationships with the children who are hurting.

No comments: