Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Musings

September 3, 2008

Although I should be asleep in bed, I want to write about some random events and musings of the day. The day started at 12:30AM when I awoke to find myself being eaten by mosquitos. I was trying to sleep out on the patio because it was cooler than anywhere else in the house, minus turing the A/C on and I had given up my room for a guest. Lightning was also flashing in the sky so I decided to move indoors and spend the rest of the "night" there. I had been wanting to sleep on the patio so I was disappointed to have had to move but I really do not need Dengae fever from the wrong mosquito biting me.

At 5:30AM (and I overslept) I got up to go for a run. It was a beautiful, tranquil morning with the sun just rising in the eastern sky. As I watched the sun rise and splash a trail of pinks and orange across the sky, I was reminded of God's faithfulness and constancy. He does not change and I can always depend on Him. In my mind I thought of how the sun rises and sets each day without question of whether it will happen or not. God's presences is just as constant and sure.

My day, for once, was spent mostly in Spanish conversation. I had a meeting in which the difficulty in cross cultural communication was evident as I and the other North American, tried to communicate the idea that to us was so simple and clear. Later in the day I ventured into a part of the city I had never been with the instruction of "ask someone where the church and field are." I wanted easy to follow directions that did not require rolling down my window and asking directions of a stranger, but apparently the latter was to be the easiest. At one point I asked a boy where the specific church was and he told me to ask the guy standing in front of the pulperia (a little corner store) because he was a Christian. Since my passenger window does not work I had to wave the guy over to my window. He came and when I asked about the church he indicated that it was his church and he asked who I was looking for. He knew my friend and after a moment's thought he said it would be easiest for him to just come along with me and show me the way. Internally I hesitated because I did not like the idea of a stranger getting in to my car but I had the feeling that he was the pastor. He got in and he directed me to the house with ease. The family was surprised to see me since I had not called back for directions are were glad to hear how God had worked out a connection in an unexpected way.

As I sat and visited with my friend and her family, I realized that maybe I am getting used to the heat because I had on the hottest clothes and yet I was the one not sweating. According to one person I spoke with today, the temperatures these past few days have been over 100F, and I believe it. I have been very ready to use the A/C with more frequency and yet still hesitate to do so. I like having a non-existent electric bill as happened the other month thanks to some government award.

I am pretty sure that I had some other thoughts from the day but I am currently too tired to remember them. If they are actually important, I may try to write them another day.

No comments: