Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A New Phase

September 10, 2008

Today I enter into a new phase of living overseas -- that of experiencing loss of loved ones from a distance. I just received word that my great-aunt, Rhoda Mellinger, passed away last evening after a battle with cancer. I think it will be hard to be here so far away when I know that my family is hurting. I am so thankful though that I was able to visit with her back in June before the cancer really took it's toll. The family is thankful that she is no longer suffering and that she is home with Jesus, but still it is hard. I know that the family will be leaning on the Lord and finding strength in Him which is really that only thing that can help during this time.

On another note, I just got back from running the "Olympics" with a group of children in their two room school just outside of Pinalejo. Today is "Children's Day" and so every school has some kind of celebration. The Williamson's and I helped to run a special program at the school of two of the staff children. We knew not to expect the day to go as planned and were right. We showed up at 8:30 and thought we would begin at 9:00AM. But then at about 9:00AM high school studnets from a nearby school showed up with a pinata, food, and dancing. We stood around for the next hour or so and waited unil they finished so that we could do our activities. The teachers of the school had no idea the highschoolers were coming so parents had also brought food.

In the end we were able to do our olympics which included shotput (with a water balloon), discus, (frisbee), and the javelin (a broken arrow). There was a team relay of running but in a way that represented swimming. This activity led to chaos on the first try because apparently the students are not familiar with relays and the concept of waiting to run until the first person comes back to the line. On "go" everyone ran. All in all it turned out pretty well and the Williamson children did a great job in their preparations and in the help they gave during the activities.

No comments: