Monday, September 08, 2008

Immersed in Vegetables

September 8, 2008

I did not think that I could get tired of vegetables but at this moment I am very tired of seeing them and cutting them. Yesterday was the big day of teaching how to cook over a fire. In preparation I washed vegetables for 45 people and pulled off cabbage leaves one by one to have them in tack for putting around the meat. In the end only 25-30 people were present and so of course I had a ton of vegetables left over, many of which were partially cut. And so today I had to use them or let them spoil. I cut a bunch of veggies in the morning, planning to make a soup to feed the directors for the meeting tonight but midway through the day I learned that someone else was making lasagna and could I make a salad? I still made the soup (a Curry Cabbage Soup) for another day because I could not bear to throw all of the vegetables away. I then made the salad which required cutting different veggies and so the last three days I have lived a veggie tale.

In general I love veggies and they are a main part of my diet but I think everyone reaches a limit. As of the last 2 months I have been trying to eat even healthier foods because I discovered that I have high cholesterol (it's hereditary). So now I am addicted to finding healthy food recipes and trying lots of new things. I have found it to be more time consuming than I like. I also run into problems when I eat meals anywhere but at home. As one person put it with the food the question is, "How would you like your oil?" With chickn, rice, platanos, or beans? Oil is a main part of every food. I think that perhaps my cholesterol might be better than the test had showed since the two weeks prior to that I was at the mercy of other people for what I ate. So far I have managed to substitute lentil burgers for the cookout meals without anyone even noticing that I was eating something different. I never bothered to read labels before to look at fat or cholesterol content but now I have to. I hate having such limitations on me, but I do not want to have to take medicine so diet is my alternative. And there are some delicious baked good with a healthy twist so I have not had to forsake all desserts. Thank goodness!

No comments: