Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Further Thought

August 13, 2008

I had a revelation this morning about my perspective of the trip last Friday. I began to wonder if anyone else felt as I did about the lack of hiking and exploring the park which to me had been the goal. I realized that to begin with, perhaps that was not even the goal of the group. If we did not have the same expectations in the first place, we probably did not share the same disappointment. Maybe the things that I wanted to change about the day were not as important to others as they were to me. I have to remember to think from the perspective of the Hondurans and consider their expectations.

A few other random thoughts. Today I was out in the woods and much to my delight the mosquitoes were not as bad as last week. I was able to work without my mosquito netting. The butterflies have been abundant and beautiful these past few weeks. I have seen morphos, owl butterflies, and a few other unknown ones. Several of the staff told me that they had spotted the two baby owls that we had a few months back which is exciting to know that they are alive and well – and not in captivity. My other side hobby seems to be becoming a horse woman. Two mornings in a row I single handedly drove 5 horses out of camp. Well, I started them in the right direction with my small piece of cable as my ”whip” (really self-protection for myself in case they charged) and then the men were working by the front gate and helped send them running. Yesterday the dogs gave me a hand too. I also must give credit to the Lord because I knew that I could not get the horses to go where I wanted without some help. The fence needs repaired by the river and until that happens the horses have decided to come for some breakfast each morning.

For some reason I have been really tired the past few days and I awake without the motivation to get up and run. Ironically today I ran even though I had to be ready earlier than usual since I was driving some staff children to school.

Yesterday I wondered just how many ants I consume on a daily basis. They always crawl into my water pitcher and sometimes it is just too much work to fish them out. I guess that considering I ate a termite intentionally a while back, I should not be too concerned with a few ants. I doubt that I will have the energy to visit with the Honduran staff yet tonight. I am currently down in the town waiting for my allergy injections. Till I get back to camp it will probably be dark and I will heat up my food, talk with the Williamson’s and head to bed. On my agenda for dinner are the tortillas that I mixed up a little earlier with the help of Marlen, one of the Honduran women. I did a substitution of olive oil for shortening to make them a little healthier. We will see how they turn out since we were experimenting with the measurements.

No comments: