Tuesday, August 19, 2008

These Warm Days

August 19, 2008

It would appear that the hot days have returned and so I am thankful to have A/C in my car. I am ready for a few big storms to hopefully bring in some cooler weather. Last week I was able to do a little swimming which was quite nice.
I feel as if my plans have changed frequently this past week due to unexpected meetings, being told that no I still cannot get a Honduran license, and whatever else came up. This morning I was sitting in the staff meeting at the church (it is basically a time of worship and sharing a devotional). For the first 10 minutes or so I was the only female in the room so the one pastor announced that I could teach them this morning. Sometimes I do not like going to the meetings because I hate being called on to share if I have not had time to prepare or to adequately think through the topic on hand. I inwardly groaned and prayed for some more females to appear, which they did, but the pastor still looked to me to share a little devotional thought. That is much easier to do in English than in Spanish but I shared from my reading this morning in Colossians 1:9-14 -- a powerful prayer with lots of challenges because it is not easy to live out, especially the part about "in everything." This morning I started to memorize it in Spanish but I did not practice on the group. They had to bear with enough of my Spanish as it was.

Last Saturday my roommate and I and another friend drove out to camp for the day where we relaxed some and then tried out papermaking. It is a project that I want to be able to do with children at camp but I am trying out new methods, such as using a hand egg beater instead of an electric blender. I discovered that I still have quite a few supplies to track down but we produced something similar to paper.

Sunday evening I attended a youth service at the church which brought to a conclusion the "youth week" or series of meetings especially for them. We had a great time of worship and I was reminded of the Praise and Worship Services that I use to attend in Costa Rica once a month. As I was introducing a new girl to various youth members and leaders, I was reminded that I really do know a lot of people. It was a cool realization except that I am still struggling to know how to maintain all the relationships and really being able to know a few people well. Too many acquaintances can perhaps hinder strong friendships. So I have some work to do in developing a few of my acquaintances into real friendships.

Right now I am off to a meeting for the upcoming youth camp with my church. Quite likely it will be a rather long meeting but hopefully we will make progress and have a good time. Hmm... I forgot to write about cooking. I will have to put that in another entry sometime later this week.

No comments: