Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Blog Entry In The Making

April 25, 2010

There are what I would call "blog moments" when I encounter something during my day that I know would make a good blog entry, if I could just remember it later on. Today my moment came as I sat with some friends in a little Swiss-El Salvadorean restaurant in the hills outside of San Salvador. We quickly discovered that half of the drinks and dishes on the menu were not available at this time. There was only one flavor of fruit drink, no ice tea, and no pudding. The owner had just given us a speech about how welcome were to be there and that we would enjoy the food and everything. When the waitress walked back to the kitchen just as soon as one of the girls ordered an iced tea, we had a feeling that there would be some "shortages" of options. Sure enough, the waitress had left to confirm that there was no tea. I know that I had a look of "here we go again" on my face because so often this happens in restaurants.

Because there was only whole milk for the hot drinks, I had decided not to order anything so I was not too disappointed with so little being available on the menu but another day I would have been. So much is run differently than in the United States which makes sense because it is a different place with its own culture. I am the one that needs to adapt. Though the food was lacking, the view was not, nor the fresh breeze that flowed through the open air seating areas. It was a welcome change from the humidity and heat of the city. We also got to hear some live music which included mostly songs in English from long ago, "The Piano Man" and "Hotel California" to name a few.

No comments: