Saturday, May 01, 2010

Here Come the Rains

May 1, 2010

Here in Central America the saying "April showers bring May flowers" does not hold true because the rains do not arrive until May although this year we had a good amount of rain in April. April was true to its normal self though and was very hot. This morning I awoke in the early hours to the sound of rain -- the type of rain that you have on a fall day in Pennsylvania. By 6:30 the rain had passed and I went out for a run in a world that was drenched and alive. Apparently the rain did not really pass though because for a good portion of the day, the rains fell steadily. There were the fun moments when it was just a light mist and I was able to walk down the road to a little stores for some veggies, getting spritzed, but not soaked.

Besides it being a rainy day, it is also a holiday here in Central America, the equivalent of the US's Labor Day. Except here instead of parades, there are protests. Last night it took me 45 minutes to get home instead of 10-15 as it normally should. Whether it was due to the fact that protests were coming or simply that it was Friday and payday, the roads were a mess. At the intersections a light would turn green and no one could move because traffic from the right or left was sitting in the middle, not having gotten through on their green. I sat there and tried to pray, but found myself distracted by my frustration of not getting anywhere. Eventually I found it better to sing because that was something I could focus on.

This morning I planned to meet up with a girl from the US who is running a children's home north of the city, but as I headed to our meeting place, I found the roads blocked because of marches. I returned home and we met later on. It was neat to see her ministry and be able to share some of the program ideas from La Casa de Mi Padre with her and the other staff.

When I returned to the apartment after my first attempt to meet up with Rachel from the children's home, I ended up walking past a little coffee shop/bakery and went in to visit with the girls who run the place. They are twins and I met one the other day and this morning I was introduced to the other. I had a good time sitting and talking with her and look forward to running with her in the future. If I was in shape and had time, I could do a race with her tomorrow morning. As I left their store forty-five minutes later, I was excited about the new friendships. We can speak in either English or Spanish because at least one of the twins went to school in the States and teaches at the American school. They are experimenting with baking as they put together pastries to sell. I love to bake too and some day I think I will try to teach them how to make the Cream Cheese braids. Once again I have so much to be thankful for as I think about how the Lord is providing friendships (not to mention everything else He has done in my life).

No comments: