Sunday, April 04, 2010

On the Road Again... and This Time on Easter Day

April 4, 2010

Easter Day. I am passing Easter Day in a different way this year as I travel by bus from Honduras to El Salvador. I am hoping that it will be a six hour journey and not seven and a half hours as was the trip to Honduras. In the past week there has been some rain in Honduras and so the mountains seem a little bit greener. Still as I look out over the terrain, it is not one that really speaks of new life as would be most fitting for Easter Day. In PA I saw the new life of spring in the budding trees and emerging flowers. I enjoyed being serenaded by chickadees yesterday morning as I sat for a few moments on the bank behind my parents’ house.

Easter speaks to me of new life because Christ rose from the dead and fulfilled all of the prophecies spoken in the Old Testament of His death and resurrection. He defeated death and brought me new life – as long as I am willing to accept the life He offers. I chose to receive His gift of salvation many years ago as a child, but I am reminded that my journey with Christ does not stop at that moment but rather begins. I just read a friend’s update which spoke of the little “deaths” that we have to experience all through our life – the death of our own hopes and expectations, our plans, and our habits. If any of these things do not line up with God’s own plans and desires, I need to sacrifice them and put first His plans. I am reminded of that even more this weekend as I reflect upon Christ’s sacrifice on the cross for me – taking upon Himself my sins, that I might live in Him. It is with joy and thankfulness that I can proclaim today, “Christ the Lord is risen indeed!”

No comments: