Thursday, May 28, 2009

Waking to an Earthquake

May 28, 2009 2:45AM

Ah, waking up at 2:30AM is never fun but perhaps even less so when it is because of an earthquake. In Costa Rica I experienced one or two small tremors and in the moment of the event I always wondered what was happening. This morning was no different. There was a loud noise (like a train rumbling in), wind, and the whole apartment shook. For the first few seconds I did not realize what was happening. When I finally realized what was going on, it was pretty much over. The thoughts that went through my head: "You really should get up and go to the doorway." "Woa, that had to be pretty high on the rictor scale." "There will be an aftershock following, so you should not just stay in bed."

In reality I was tempted to just stay put. I sometimes have this false, naive sense of indestructability. It is not that I think I am indestructible, but I could not imagine a serious earthquake happening here in San Pedro. I got up during the middle of the aftershock and called to Evelin to bring Lisbeth to a safer place. Evelin was scared and nervous (of which I should have been more). It was probably her first experience and when you feel that kind of thing and hear alarms going off all over the city, it is a little unnerving.

After a few minutes of sweating to death because of not being in front of a fan, we left the doorways and headed back to our rooms to sleep. Nervousness is probably keeping her awake, while for me the desire to write has me here at the computer. The time for a morning run will come all too soon.

In reality I feel like there could be some serious damage in some part of the country because it felt like a pretty strong tremor. I will have to wait until the paper comes out later today or until the Prensa gives an online update. I am sure most of San Pedro Sula is glued to the television right now for the news, but since I do not have one, I have to look for information in other places.

3 comments:

Eddy Out said...

I heard about the earthquake on the radio this morning and immediately began praying for you all... thanks for keeping us updated :)

j.daniel said...

jen,

good to hear you're ok. sounds like the quake was 7.1 on the richter scale. here's a link to a bbc report if you can access it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/americas/8071568.stm

Jen Hess said...

Thanks. I do not have much time online so it was great to have a link!