Monday, May 11, 2009

An Outdoor Education Day

May 10, 2009

I am not sure how long it has been since I last wrote and with the internet being down, I cannot check. But a lot has happened this past week. Friday I ran an Outdoor Education program for a group of sixth graders from a bilingual school. It went really well despite some worries about whether the other staff person would be able to find a bus to arrive at camp in time to teach. There was neither rain nor thunder until the moment the students were about to leave when I heard thunder in the distance. Perhaps one of my favorite parts of the day was being able to teach in English. After the first Water class that I taught down by the river I suddenly remembered that yes I can teach and get my point across. I can make spiritual applications that make sense. And yet in Spanish I still struggle to be able to effectively communicate. Even living with a Honduran for the past 4 months has not seemed to help my Spanish all that much. Hence I need to evaluate what I can do to improve my Spanish (and pray for God to loose my tongue in this foreign language) or I need to look for ways to do more in English here in Honduras.

Anyway, the day went really well and the girl who helped me said that on the bus ride home they were all talking about the day and wanting to come back next year. On Thursday just before I had left for camp I learned that another school wants to come in less than two weeks. I hope that they are interested in almost the same program because it would make things much easier. I already have someone trained to help. We will see what comes of my conversation with the administrator tomorrow.

No comments: