Monday, May 04, 2009

All With One Pine Branch

May 4, 2009

I do not want to even begin to think about all of the things I have not yet written about over the past week or two. For now though I will forget the other things and only mention the latest from camp. Yesterday afternoon I drove out to camp and as I passed through Pinalejo I noted that it must have rained, judging by the many puddles on the side of the road. When I pulled into camp and stopped by the Williamson's house to pick up some of my refrigerated foods I discovered just how big the little storm had been. The winds had blown the rain almost horizontal so it entered the downstairs windows even though they are surrounded by a porch. Most signficant though was the that the rain and wind knocked a large branch off of a pine tree and the first thing the branch hit was some electrical cables. The force of the branch hitting the cables caused the pole that was holding them up to snap. The branch then continued its fall and struck the water pipe and sewer pipe which are above ground, passing over a small ravine. It broke both of the latter. And so there was no electric, no water, and in the area of my cabin -- no septic system.

Needless to say instead of plugging in the little fridge in my cabin I reworked my menu plan and helped Cindy accomodate their food in coolers. Last evening we had church by candlelight and lantern in their living room. I felt as if I was camping except that the cabin was my tent. I had to go across camp to use the bathroom and to wash dishes. I decided to forego a shower until I got back to the city in case camp was without water for a while and the staff needed all the water they could get.

I was the lucky one in that I got to return to the city today. The rest of the staff are still there battling the challenges of no electric and juggling when to open the fridge, how to do homeschooling without much computer time, etc... The water and sewer pipes were repaired shortly after I left but the electrcic will be out for several days. It is a 3-day repairation process and first the money has to be found for the project. The Williamsons are running a small generator every few hours to try and keep at least one fridge cold but even the generator is having problems. This coming Friday I have a school going to camp for an Outdoor Education program. It is actually a good thing that it is just a day program in that lack of electric should not be a big deal -- except that we are cooking for them. Somehow the food has to be kept cold until cooked. I will also have to start thinking now about what I will be planning to eat over those three days that I am at camp. The adventures never cease and sometimes I wish that they would. I pray that the repairs will happen quickly and that the Lord will give grace and strength to the families on camp.

No comments: