Thursday, September 24, 2009

When Honduras Comes to New Danville

September 24, 2009

Today I had a very fun surprise. My aunt called me this morning to inform me that a group from a school in San Pedro Sula, Honduras would be sharing in chapel (at New Danville Mennoite School) in just a few hours. My schedule was open so I quickly decided to go, especially because I hoped to see a teacher or the director who I had met from the school back in June. When I walked into the chapel area, I saw the group milling around on the stage. And immediately my eyes fell on a student who I knew. He had participated in a work team at Manantial de Vida, summer 2008. He saw me too and so we began chatting in Spanish which was fun. I stayed for the chapel in which the Honduran school shared songs in Spanish. I enjoyed singing one of my favorite praise songs in Spanish, "Eres Todopoderoso". It is also the song that little Lisbeth loves to worship with.

This evening I met up with a Hispanic woman in Lancaster and another girl and we went into a neighborhood downtown to share with some children. Most of the children were not around but we prayed with two young children and shared the story of Joseph. The woman took the opportunity though to pray and share with several young adults milling around the area. I was touched as she shared her testimony and how God had brought redemption to her life. Her story was one that the young people could relate too because she had been in their shoes. It hit home with one young man who had just been released from prison. It was exciting to see the timing of the encounter and the woman's boldness in sharing Christ with any and every person she saw. She was ready to pray with each one, even from the car as they walked past. I hope that I can visit the city again with her and join in ministry to those in Lancaster.

No comments: