Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Still Following the Footprints

September 22, 2009

Here I sit in Lancaster, PA while chaos errupts again in Honduras. Eversince Zelaya, the former Honduran president (who was removed from power the end of June) managed to sneak back into the country and make an appearance from the Brasilian Embassy in Tegucigalpa yesterday, things have gotten ugly again. His supporters were celebrating while others were protesting Zelaya's return. The new government is asking the embassy to turn Zelaya over to them so that he can be arrested and tried. Meanwhile there has been an almost 24 hour curfew in effect in Honduras. From what I understand it is in all of the country and has only been lifted on one of the islands where tourism abounds. I must say that it is much more comfortable being here in PA than closed in an apartment waiting to see what happens. But my heart goes out to my friends there who can do nothing but wait ... and pray (the latter of which is definitely not "nothing").


I find myself marveling at how God's hand seems to be directing my steps and the timing of events, even though I cannot see it at the time. For a long while I was considering flying back to Honduras on September 20 to do some exploring of ministries with a couple and to participate in a missionary retreat. I kept waiting for direction from the Lord as to whether I should go or not and heard nothing. As the days passed, I let go of the idea of traveling over this time and figured that unless He made it very clear that now was the time to travel, I would keep waiting. And today as I consider what is happening again in Honduras, I am glad that I am waiting. I almost get chills down my back when I think of how many times God has orchestrated such timing in my life these past 2 months. I guess that I just wish I was more aware of how He is directing me each moment instead of just after the fact. Even so I am very thankful that He is at work and that I can see His hand.

No comments: