Tuesday, September 08, 2009

On Lake Erie

My time in Ohio was spent with friends on Lake Erie. It was a relaxing and fun time as we sat on the shore of the lake, speeded through the waters on jet skies, or rode the waters on water skies. My friend’s three boys are adorable, especially the youngest with his blue eyes and blond curls. On Sunday we were sitting on the boat waiting for our “pilot” so that we could take off. Little Simon, who is 2 years old, was standing on the back of the boat with his little life jacket. His dad was beside him but he was holding the 5 year old and I was on the seat just behind Simon. All of a sudden Simon stumbled and began a headlong tumble towards the shallow waters. I had been alert in case such a stumble might occur and so I dove for him and thanks to his life jacket, was able to grab hold of him. He came up unharmed and dry, but scared. I am glad that I play sports where I have to work on my reaction time and have spent much of my life spotting which also is a moment when you have to be alert and ready for a fall.

Simon was not too scarred by the experience because he had no qualms about heading out on the waters when his uncle arrived to drive the boat. I enjoyed the opportunity to ski again and tried to take some risk and try new things such as going over the wakes. Too often I get content in what I am able to do without much effort and hesitate to take risks. I know that in my life beyond water skiing, God wants to teach me lessons in that area.

No comments: