Monday, August 03, 2009

Travel Plans Asunder

August 3, 2009

I think "asunder" is the right word choice but maybe not. How wonderful it is when travel delays work out to one's benefit! Of course, I have not left Sarasota yet, so I may yet be disappointed. I was scheduled to fly from Sarasota to Atlanta and the to Harrisburg tonight with only a 30 minute layover in Atlanta, a city notorious for delays. Well, I arrived at the Sarasota airport only to discover that my plane is delayed from here by two hours. And from Atlanta there is one flight daily to Harrisburg -- 8:45PM. Just over the weekend I discovered that I could have traveled with my cousin and his family to Atlanta tomorrow and flown from there, allowing myself a few days to visit family. Jokingly I told him that who knows, maybe I would still see him there in Atlanta. Now I have the opportunity to send the day in Atlanta without having to drive there or pay a fee to change my flights. I even got a small voucher for my next flight with AirTran. For me, it could hardly have worked out better but I know that many others are suffering because of the delay. I am sitting here in the airport though with the fear that I am missing the flight because I am not sitting at the gate and the food court area is vacant. I still have an hour and a half to kill though according to the tv monitor. An irrational fear it would seem.

No comments: