Sunday, August 02, 2009

The Faces Behind Immigration Laws

On Tuesday night I flew into BWI airport and was saddened by a scene that I witnessed. We had just landed and everyone was in the aisle, ready to disembark when someone came onto the loud speaker asking that a certain passenger identify herself. A woman just behind me with a young daughter raised her hand. A minute later a Maryland State trooper began to make his way down the aisle and told her that she needed to follow him and should leave her bag with someone else – her younger brother it turned out. She also left the little girl with the teenage brother. The young girl had just awoken from sleep and so she cried at the separation. The rest of the passengers all looked at each other and wondered what was going on, our hearts going out to the mother and daughter. She certainly looked innocent.

As I exited the plane the woman was standing with three policemen and her brother was a little farther down the hallway. I heard him say something to her about having thought her green card was okay. And so it seems as if the detainment has to do with immigration and incorrect paperwork. I wonder how she made it into and out of Houston airport without being detained there. I went downstairs to pick up my luggage and one of the pieces was missing. I had to go to the desk and request that they track it. I was told it would be delivered to Lancaster the next day. Meanwhile the woman’s brother came to the desk in search of all of their bags which had never even made it to Houston from Trinidad. What a bad day for them! As I walked out I told him that I would pray that everything would work out. I did not know what else to say to him. His sister is detained and they have no luggage. I hope that their story ends well and that the woman was able to renew whatever expired visa she had. I realized at that moment that my one missing bag was really nothing.

No comments: