Thursday, January 01, 2009

Christmas in Florida (part 1)

So it is about time to re-cap a few of the adventures of Florida last week over Christmas. On Monday morning, December 21 at 12:00AM my sisters, their spouses, and I gathered at my parents’ house to begin the journey south in an eleven passenger van (there were seven of us). Because I had a seat to myself, I was able to sleep until almost 7:00AM which was great. My waking hours I spent stuffing and addressing my Christmas letters. We had time to play a game or two as well. Sixteen and a half hours later we arrived in Sarasota, Florida and met up with family. Less of my cousins live in Florida now so there is less space for those of us who are from out of state. This year we had to stay in a hotel, but it worked out pretty well.

My time in Florida basically consists of endless hours with about 36 other family members. During the day fewer of us were together but in the evenings we gathered for dinner at my aunt and uncle’s. This was the year of the young adults (those in their late 20’s and early 30’s) being present which always leads to a little more adventure. Two years ago we had taken all of the younger cousins to a movie which was a highlight in spite of the fact that the movie was a bit cheesy. Spilled popcorn and practically scrapping the roof of my dad’s van in the parking garage were the added bonuses that year.

Tuesday was a calm day with puzzles, strawberry-mango smoothies, board and card games, and a slow game of Kick-the-can. Wednesday proved to be more unforgettable – as childhood trauma was relived. Having grown up in Florida, I for some reason never developed a love for the beach. I hate the S’s about it – sand, salt, and sun. And until last week I forgot about the sea gulls. The beach is enjoyable if you are staying nearby and do not have to drive home with all of your sand but that is not the case in Florida. My “twin” cousin Ben feels similarly about the beach so we did not head out there right away with all of the other cousins. I did convince him to drive us out there though because I thought we could play some volleyball. Just as we were going to leave my sister called to say that they were hungry (that is 12 young people) so we stopped and picked up three pizzas. When we arrived, the beach was packed, as was the parking lot. Even the Amish were at the beach enjoying the warm sunshine the day before Christmas.

The fourteen of us gathered around the pizza and ate it while standing. Meanwhile menacing sea gulls hovered overhead. All of a sudden I was dive bombed by a bold sea gull that swooped in for the steal. I had taken maybe two bites of a slice of pizza and that sea gull yanked the rest from my fingers. It managed to draw blood with its beak as well. As soon as it lifted up, it was attacked by the rest of the sea gulls and in seconds the pizza was gone. There had been no warning or time to react. Why it singled me out, I do not know? I was probably the shortest person there, even though I was also the oldest by almost 15 years. Maybe that was the reason. As a child I lost a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in a similar manner to a similar fate. For this reason the sea gulls are also on that S list. Needless to say the next few minutes were spent guarding the remainder of the pizza and keeping the boxes tightly closed. I think that we were an amusement to the sunbathers around us.

By the time we were done eating, everyone was ready to leave so the trip to the beach for Ben and I was for pizza delivery and furthering of my dislike of the beach. It was a beautiful day though. About 75 degrees Farenheit, sunny, cloudless blue sky, and very cold (compared to Honduran waters) gulf water which a few crazy Northerners braved. I enjoyed the weather much more later that afternoon when we had our annual family Christmas soccer game. I will not recount how many goals I missed, but it was fun as usual with many laughs.

No comments: