Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Fun of Police Checkpoints

January 10, 2009

This morning I journeyed from camp to the city (and tomorrow and Monday I will make the trek again). It was one of those days where traffic was moving slowly and there were no good passing zones but in general the trip was going pretty well. As I neared the city I came upon a police checkpoint and though on Thursday they let me by without stopping me, this time I was flagged over. I was pretty confident though because I have a new passport with a valid visa stamp and so until February 6, I should be good to go.

I handed the police officer my license and car registration but then he asked me if I have "triangulos." I looked at him blankly and then realized that I did not have my hazards on. That was not what he wanted though. He kept asking if I had any cones in my car, which of course I did not. I had to get out of the car and open the trunk so that he could look to see if I had "triangulos" (which turns out to be the red triangles you set up on the road if you have a problem). They were not there. I had not known it was a law to carry them but the one officer found the law for me in his little book. I would love to read that book sometime. Maybe it is something you receive when you get a Honduran driver's license. But since I do not have the latter, I do not have the book.

The policemen politely told me that I was in violation (all my claims of ignorance -- which were true -- did not help) and that they would have to take my license and I could get it back by paying about $35. Of course my license was going to end up in some little town between camp and the city and they could not give me the direction or the number for the office. And then came the offer. "You could pay the fine right now and only pay half." Ah, the bribes. I am so glad that I know more now than the first time I was fined because I politely said that I would pay it in the office and not on the road. I was hoping that as often happens, they would not even bother writing up the fine, because what they want is the bribe. The chief was even there and he asked me where I work so I explained. In doing so I mentioned the church I am associated with in the city and the pastor's name, and the chief looked down at the papers and then told me I could go. Thank you Lord! Upon reaching the city, I did buy "triangulos" so that next time things should go smoother. I am sure that there is another law that I will not be in accord with though and I will have to go through the system once again. It may be my cracked windshield but that I plan to fix next week since anything hitting it at this point could cause it to shatter. (That is thanks to the cold water at the carwash further cracking the hot glass). I definitely have had enough car issues for the month.

No comments: