Wednesday, October 01, 2008

The Seasons Are Changing...

October 1, 2008

Yesterday I walked into a department store in the mall and discovered that Christmas has arrived. The aisles were lined with trees, ornaments, and glitter. I cannot remember but I am guessing that Halloween is not so celebrated here which means Christmas is the next big holiday with decorations.

We also had a bit of snow in the house the other day -- or so it appeared. A guy had been working on the stairs and the dust and putty fell to coat the table and plant below and gave the appearance of a dusting of snow. Thankfully the temperatures have been a little cooler as well as the rains are becoming more frequent. The days are shortening too which soon will make running in the mornings more difficult. Not that I have been running much. I am still waiting for my knee to heal.

I spent the weekend out at camp and it was relaxing. I forgot that I enjoy spending an entire Sunday there. I have opportunity for more quiet time with God and get to visit with the staff. This past Sunday I slept in until almost 8:00AM and mid-morning went on a walk with some of the staff children. They had wanted to show me the location of the burial for a bunny. Their plan is to dig up the bones in a couple of months. Later we stopped to watch a line of leaf-cutter ants hard at work transporting leaves to their mound. Looking overhead it was amazing to see how many branches they had defoliated of the mango tree. We chatted a bit about the proverbs regarding ants and what we can learn from them. We then strolled up with hill and joined the young mother on camp and played a round of Uno. It was interesting (but also frustrating) to observe two of the three children and how the minute their turn was over, they were asking "Who's turn is it?" "Is it my turn?" They simply did not stop to think but habitually and impulsively asked, time and time again. I am thinking that the next time I should institute a rule that whoever asks whose turn it is, has to draw a card. There are some life skills that the children still need to learn.

In the afternoon I had Evelyn, a single mom, over for tea and we chatted about faith and life. I want to spend more time at camp these days so that I can reach out to her because she is lonely, having only her sister's family to really relate to most of the time. I am excited about how God seems to be bringing more and more people into my life who I can reach out to and share Christ. Later in the evening the staff had worship and a prayer time together. Tomorrow morning I head out to camp again and will be helping with a few activities for the Deacon's Retreat that is going on. I also plan to practice some nature crafts and activities that I want to have available for camp groups. Because there will be extra missionary children on camp who need some extracurricular activities for their home schooling, it is a good moment to try things out.

No comments: