Tuesday, October 07, 2008

The Invasions Continue

October 7, 2008

Invasions seem to be the theme of the past three days. Saturday it was the biting ants. Sunday I had to chase cows off of camp...again. I left my run to get my key so that I could unlock the gate and find a helper. My helper ended up being a nine year old boy, Ronnie. We split up and I went to unlock the gate but then I discovered that we has nowhere to be seen. He later told me her forgot about the cows when he found a nance tree (a fruit that grows all over camp). He eventually joined me and we sent the cows out the gate. When I saw them later in the afternoon on camp once again, I ignored them because I did not have the will power to devote more time to chasing them.

I could have chased the cows again yesterday but I was in my car headed out of camp by the time I saw them. The invasion of Monday was another type of ant (those which eat paper) which were in my duffle bag I was packing up for the return to the city. I had to thoroughly shake out the bag because I did not want to carry any of the ants and their eggs to my apartment. Now I am in the city and I hope that the invasions cease.

As for other events of the past few days, on Sunday Evelyn joined me in baking bread and a cake. She had her little girl with her and the latter wanted lots of attention so it was not the best opportunity for chatting but it was still good. Yesterday we talked about working on memorizing Scripture and holding each other accountable which should be good for both of us. I need to know more Scripture in Spanish than I do.

I do not think I ever actually baked bread before (bread with yeast that is) so I was excited when it turned out well. We also watched a movie and then late afternoon the Honduran children came over to make paper which they enjoyed. Over the past few days I have started to run again and thankfully my knee seems to be much better and not causing as much pain.

I was surprised on my drive back to the city yesterday to see several fires burning in the hills and alongside of the road. It is rainy season though the steady and torrential rains still have not really arrived. Last night we got a heavy rain and ten minutes after it started I left some friends' house to return home. I was amazed to see the water gushing up out of the man hole covers like a fountain. The drainage system in the city is definitely in need of some repairs. I would hate to know where all of the black waters go when it rains since they do not stay below ground. As I drove home though I thanked the Lord for having a dry place to live where I do not think I have to fear flooding or anything of the sort.

No comments: