Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sheltered...

October 25, 2008

That is how I feel today. The Honduran newspaper says that the president of Honduras has declared a National Emergency because of the number of areas flooded and roads destroyed due to the 10 days of rain. As of today they are reporting 33 deaths, 14 missing, 55,000 evacuated, and 28,747 people who have lost their homes. And yet I have still seen nothing of the extensive flooding and damage all across the country. I had hoped to go with my roommate Emily and her work, the Samaritan's Purse, today as they distributed food to the displaced persons. But at 7:00AM she called her boss only to discover that there was no room in the vehicles. And so I stayed in the city and baked bread, made phone calls, and ran other errands. I have yet to ever really see the immediate after effects of a natural disaster. When I was in Honduras in 1999 after Hurricane Mitch, I did not arrive until 3 months after the tragedy. The past few days it has been hard to do my camp work and other things knowing that just a little ways outside of the city people are suffering. Perhaps I needed to try and find other contacts who could have helped me find a relief organization to participate with, but I did not really know where to turn. I am thankful for this day though and the opportunity to catch up with dear friends and to prepare for the upcoming week.

And yesterday I had breakfast with a woman from the Spanish church which was great. It ended up being a day of mostly Spanish. It was neat to hear her testimony of how God worked in her family's life and brought her husband to salvation after her many years of praying. She testified loudly to God's work in her life and she is encouraging women in similar situations. Since I have a friend here with a similar marriage, it was good to hear from her some ways that I can reach out and encourage my friend. All in all it has been a good week for me though I still hurt for those around me.

No comments: