Friday, October 10, 2008

The Light Sometimes Dawns

October 10, 2008

Last evening I stopped by the supermarket after an hour and a half of sitting (with a book and journal thankfully) waiting for someone to meet me to discuss some work. For once I had plastic bags in my car so I grabbed a handful of them with the intention of using them instead of getting new ones at the store. Just as I was about to walk through the doors, the guard stopped me and motioning to my bags, told me that I needed to leave them outside. I explained that I was bringing them with me so that I could put my groceries in them and not get new ones. The man just gave me a look and said (more or less) "But there are already bags in there." Yes, of course I knew that. I tried to patiently explain that I have too many plastic bags at my house and I want to recycle these. The guy still did not get it and wanted me to leave the bags outside. Finally he said that I could take them inside and leave them with the bagger. My thought was, "Great I get to try and explain myself to another person." The boy inside kind of gave me a look too but he did not protest.

I proceeded to do my shopping and returned to checkout. I no longer saw my bags with the boy which either meant he used them for previous customers or they ended up in the trash. I did not have the heart to ask because I was already too frustrated. Recycling or reusing something is so foreign to many people down here.

There has been some exciting progress though with the church that owns the camp. The other week I was at a staff meeting at the church and the pastor brought up the topic of stewardship and our response to the issues in the environment. He asked us what we could specifically do to have care for creation. I eventually spoke up and mentioned refraining from the use of plastic or styrofoam plates out at camp. All of the camp's trash goes down to Pinalejo and gets burned which means lots of chemicals and toxins are geting released into the air. I have been trying for a long while to encourage the use of paper products (which sadly are much more expensive down here) or the plastic, washable plates that the camp has in the kitchen.

The pastor caught on this time and when he was visiting the camp over the weekend he mentioned to various people in the kitchen that PIER (the church) would no longer be using plastic or styrofoam. The excitement of this small success was a bit dampened though because as the group pulled out on the bus Saturday afternoon, three plastic bottles were pitched out the windows. One person saw my horrified look and acted as if it had slipped but I knew the reality. People simply do not think about the effects of their actions. It takes so much time to change what has become a way of life -- throw your trash wherever you want, as long as it is not inconvenient for yourself. I need to remember to be excited and encouraged by the small steps of progress because change takes time.

No comments: